Yes, this is real life – baked donuts made out of funfetti cake mix, in about twenty minutes. Soft and sugar-y and spinkle-y and just plain fun. Topped with a sweet strawberry glaze. These baked funfetti cake mix donuts couldn’t be easier, or cuter!
I made them using a donut pan like this one, but don’t worry if you don’t have one. You can still be enjoying these cake mix donuts in no time! Use a muffin tin and roll up a foil ball to place in the center of each opening. You’ll pipe in the donut batter around the ball- its a simple and easy hack that will work in a pinch!
These donuts are more a little bit cupcake-like, and not quite like a traditional donut. But, they were a huge hit, especially among the kiddos!
What makes these Baked Funfetti Cake Mix Donuts so special? Is it the perfect disbursement of rainbow party sprinkles? Or is it the pale pink, sweet strawberry glaze? Or is it how adorable they look all stacked up on a platter?
What You’ll Need:
- A box of funfetti cake mix. Although, you can make these donuts with whatever flavor of cake mix you’d like! But I tend to think, you can’t go wrong with funfetti.
- 1 egg + 1/4 cup vegetable oil + 1 cup water
- For the glaze: 1 Tbsp melted butter + 2-3 Tbsp milk + 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar + 2 tsp strawberry preserves
Tips for making the ultimate Baked Funfetti Cake Mix Donuts:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees first- the batter is as easy as whisking the ingredients together in a large bowl! Spray donut pan with nonstick cooking spray so that the donuts don’t stick!
- Transfer the prepared batter into a large ziplock bag. Snip off a small corner so the opening is 1/4-1/2 inch wide.
- Pipe the batter into the donut molds (or around the foil balls if you don’t have a fancy-pants donut pan), and fill about halfway. The batter will rise and create a nice rounded top.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until the tops are just golden and the donuts spring back when touched. Cool on racks for a few minutes before glazing.
Prepare the Strawberry Glaze:
In a small-medium sized bowl, whisk together the milk + melted butter + powdered sugar + strawberry preserves. Once donuts have cooled for a few minutes, dip the tops into the glaze and set right-side-up on a cooling rack. Now is the time to add any sprinkles or toppings you would like! Let the icing harden for 10-15 minutes or until the glaze has set.
Once the glaze hardens, these baked funfetti cake mix donuts can be stacked and packaged up for a special delivery guarateed to brighten anyone’s day. Or, you could just gobble them up like we all did. Either way, I hope you enjoy! Let me know how you like ’em, and what other cake mix flavors you try!
Baked Funfetti Cake Mix Donuts
- 1 16 ounce box funfetti cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp strawberry preserves
- 1 tbsp melted butter cooled
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Rainbow Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray donut pan or muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk cake mix, egg, oil and water together for 1-2 minutes.
- Spoon or pour batter into a large ziplock bag. Seal and snip off a small opening in corner of bag. Pipe batter into prepared donut pan, only filling molds to halfway.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until donuts are lightly golden and spring back when touched. Cool donuts on wire racks for 5 minutes before glazing.
- Whisk butter, powdered sugar and milk together. Mix in strawberry preserves.
- Dip the tops of cooked and cooled donuts into the glaze, and place back on cooling racks. Top with sprinkles, if desired, and allow icing to harden for 10-15 minutes.