Have you ever had something you thought you didn’t like the taste of? Something you would completely pass up or refuse to try? Maybe based on a taste you had of it, over a decade ago? Hi, that’s me. With tequila. For years. Until recently. A few months ago, I had a sip of a margarita and thought to myself – hey, that’s pretty dang tasty.
So I knew I wanted to make a margarita for the blog. Selfishly, to keep expanding my taste buds. But also for you guys – because who doesn’t need a sweet pineapple margarita with zesty tajin- spiced rim? Nothing says summer like pineapple, tequila, citrus, and a little kick of spice!
If you are unfamiliar with tajin, it’s this Mexican spice blend made with dried red chili, salt, and dehydrated lime. A little goes a long way, its totally zesty and zingy. I pick it up in my produce aisle of the grocery store, but living in southern california we are spoiled with easy access to amazing mexican food + ingredients. If you can’t find it nearby, you can pick it up on amazon here! It’s totally delicious on the rim of a margarita, or sprinkled over sliced mango or watermelon (my personal favorite!).
What You’ll Need:
This pineapple margarita with tajin mixes silver tequila with a tequila-based orange liquor – I used patron citronage and pineapple juice + fresh lime. And of course, the tajin. Now, you could dip the rim of the glass in salt. But I happen to think the tajin is just plain tasty with this drink and adds a fun pop of color.
To make this drink, you’ll want a cocktail shaker (I have my eye on this one from target! Isn’t it totally gorgeous?) or some kind of cup with a lid you can shake the drink up in. You’ll pour it into a rocks glass – not quite as short as an old fashioned glass, but not as tall as a juice glass.
Looking for more boozy and refreshing cocktails? Try my Blackberry Whiskey Buck – it packs a punch and uses an easy homemade blackberry simple syrup. Or my Skinny Moscow Mule – a guilt-free and tasty cocktail that clocks in at under 100 calories. Or my personal favorite insanely-flavorful Strawberry Balsamic Mule. She’s complicated, gorgeous, and totally divine.
How to make this refreshing + tasty pineapple margarita with tajin:
You’ll need Silver Tequila, Orange Liquor (I used patron citronage), Pineapple juice, Limes, and Tajin.
- Pour tajin onto a small plate in a circle slightly larger than your glass. Slice a lime wedge so that you can run it around the rim of the glass. Dip your glass into the tajin, and repeat with all of your serving glasses.
- In a cocktail shaker, pour in 1 1/2 ounces tequila, 3/4 ounce of citronage, 3/4 ounce of pineapple juice, and 1/2 ounce of freshly squeezed lime juice- 1 or 2 limes should do the trick.
Note-If you are using canned pineapple juice, sure that you give it a good shake. Pineapple juice tends to settle, being much more watery on the top and dense at the bottom. Mixing it up will ensure that it’s consistent in all of your drinks.
- Add 5-6 ice cubes and shake it up.
- Strain the pineapple margarita into the tajin-rimmed glass over ice. Garnish with a lime wedge or wheel, and sip away!
Happy sipping, my friends! Let me know how you like the Pineapple Margarita with Tajin recipe in the comments, and make some memories while enjoying with your nearest and dearest.
Pineapple Margarita with Tajin
- Cocktail Shaker
- 1.5 oz silver tequila
- .75 oz patron citronage or tequila-based orange liquor
- .75 oz pineapple juice
- .5 oz lime juice 1-2 freshly squeezed
- 1 lime extra for garnish
- tajin seasoning blend for garnish
- Pour tajin on small plate. Run lime around rim of a rocks glass, and dip into the tajin.
- In a cocktail shaker, add 5-6 ice cubes.
- Pour in tequila, citronage, pineapple juice and lime juice.
- Shake, and strain over more ice in the tajin-lined rocks glass.
- Garnish with lime, and enjoy!