Have you heard about cereal milk? Its that flavorful, delicious milk left in the bowl after you eat your favorite breakfast cereal. Well, it’s having a major moment right now, you guys! There’s all kinds of baked goodies that feature cereal milk in the recipes. I wanted to get in on the fun, and created these s’mores cereal milk muffins using Golden Grahams cereal.
The honey graham cracker cereal milk teams up with toasted marshmallows and real pieces of Hershey bar. These muffins just scream summer to me – all the flavors of your favorite fireside treat. Every bite just bursts with s’mores flavor!
Did I mention these also involve brown butter? If you’ve tried my brown butter chocolate chip cookie recipe, you know these s’mores cereal milk muffins are going to be good. The nutty, deep flavor of browned butter just makes everything better. Looking for other baked goodies? Give my baked funfetti cake mix donuts a try!
What You’ll Need:
- Brown butter. Make this first! Melt your butter in a small skillet on medium-high heat. Continue to cook, while swirling the pan and stirring, until butter becomes a golden-amber color. It should smell nutty and warm and absolutely heavenly at this point. Pour into a separate small bowl and refrigerate to cool while you prepare your other ingredients.
- Golden Grahams cereal and milk. This just so happens to be one my childhood favorites. You’ll measure two cups into a large and sturdy ziplock bag and then roll over it with a rolling pin until they are crushed into very fine crumbs. Stir into the milk and let sit for ten minutes before using.
- Hershey’s bars- you’ll use three bars chopped up into small bits in the muffin batter, and an extra bar (broken into the twelve marked pieces) for topping at the end. I bought my Hershey’s bars in a 6 pack in the grocery store’s candy aisle. It was much more budget friendly than buying the bars separately.
- Mini marshmallows – you’ll need a little over a cup of these to top your 12 muffins. I used 8-9 marshmallows on each muffin.
- Flour + brown sugar + white sugar + baking powder + salt + vanilla + one egg
Tips to make the ultimate S’mores Cereal Milk Muffins:
- Start with browning the butter, to give it enough time to cool down. You’ll be whisking the butter, the cereal milk, egg and vanilla together before mixing with the dry ingredients and you don’t want the hot butter to cook the egg.
- Set your egg out a little ahead of time to bring it closer to room temperature. Everything will combine more cohesively if it’s close in temperature. We’re all about keeping things smooth here, baby.
- Make sure your cereal is very finely crushed. Like almost pulverized, or into a powder. You want the flavor without having the lumps of cereal in your muffins. I learned this the hard way. Lumpy muffins are just a little bit sad.
- Use cupcake liners. Traditionally, muffins can be made without them – but who really wants the extra mess of cleaning out your muffin tin? Not me, and I bet you don’t either! I like these unbleached parchment liners to keep them looking more like muffins than party cupcakes. We are keeping it simple here. Use the liners 🙂
- After baking for 20-22 minutes, pull the muffins out and turn your oven to the broil setting. Place 8-9 marshmallows on top of each muffin, pressing down and using the heat of the muffin to get them to “stick”- they will want to roll right off. After you get the marshmallows in place, smack a Hershey’s piece on each muffin.
- Once the muffins are topped, pop back in the oven under the broiler. Set a timer for 30 seconds and check every 30 seconds until the marshmallows are toasted. Keep a close eye on them so they don’t burn! Mine took one minute exactly.
- Let cool for a few minutes and transfer to a wire cooling rack. Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days. Let me know in the comments how these s’mores cereal milk muffins turn out for you – or if you have any other cereal milk recipes you’ve tried!
S’mores Cereal Milk Muffins
- Standard Muffin Tin
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups golden grahams cereal
- 1/4 cup butter browned and cooled *see recipe notes*
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 hershey bars 3 chopped into small pieces + 1 whole
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- Brown butter in small skillet, and cool. See recipe notes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line standard 12-muffin tin with parchment liners.
- Place the two cups cereal into a large and sturdy ziplock bag. Seal, and crush into very fine crumbs with a rolling pin. Pour crumbs into bowl and mix thoroughly. Set aside for ten minutes.
- Measure all dry ingredients (including sugars) into a large bowl, and whisk together.
- After cereal milk has sat for ten minutes, whisk in egg + vanilla, and slowly whisk in the cooled brown butter. Work quickly as to not cook the egg incase the butter hasn't fully cooled.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined, and stir in the chopped hershey bar pieces.
- Using 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop batter into lined muffin tin. This recipe will make just enough for 12 muffins.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until top of muffin "bounces back" when touched.
- Set muffins on cooling surface, and turn oven to its broil setting. Press 8-9 marshmallows on the top of each muffin, and place a hershey square on top of each muffin over marshmallows.
- Broil for 30-60 seconds, or until marshmallows are toasted. Check often to ensure they don't burn.
- Transfer to wire cooling racks. Enjoy!