Who doesn’t love their vegetables deep fried and ready to dip? I know I do, but I also try to eat those kinds of snacks in moderation. This Skinny Oven-Fried Zucchini is the perfect lighter swap for traditional fried zucchini, and I paired it with an easy High Protein Garlic + Dill dipping sauce that is made with nonfat greek yogurt -which means it’s packed with protein! A serving of the recipe (about 15 zucchini chips and 1/4 cup of the dip) has 180 calories and 15 grams of protein.
The official macro breakdown is: 15g protein / 5g fat / 19 carbs.
These tender-yet-crispy oven-fried zucchini coins are the perfect swap to fulfill your deep fried appetizer cravings while still eating light. Hints of nutty parmesan, plenty of garlic, and crunchy panko breadcrumbs create a satisfying crunch and pack tons of flavor into this tasty snack. And the high-protein dip makes this snack totally macro-friendly, too.
What you’ll need to make this Skinny Oven-Fried Zucchini:
- 2 medium-sized zucchini’s (mine were about 3/4 pound each)
- One large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs + 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, mixed and seasoned with…
- 1 tsp salt+ 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper + 1 tsp garlic powder
Prepare the Garlic + Dill yogurt dip at least a few hours before making the oven-fried zucchini, so that the flavors can really settle into the dip ( see recipe below.) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
You’ll start by slicing the zucchini into coins, about 1/4 inch thick. Lay on paper towels in a single layer and pat dry to absorb any excess liquid (there shouldn’t be much.) In a small bowl, beat your egg with a tablespoon of water. In another medium sized shallow bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs, grated parmesan, and seasonings and mix thoroughly. Dip each slice in the beaten egg, and then into the panko-parmesan mixture. Place in a single layer on parchment-lined baking sheets- I always have these pre-cut parchment sheets stocked to make my life easier. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until zucchini is soft and coating is nice and crisp, and golden brown.
To make the High Protein Garlic + Dill Yogurt Dip:
Scoop one cup of nonfat plain greek yogurt (I like Chobani for this) into a small bowl. Squeeze the juice of one lemon (it should be about a tablespoon), and add one tablespoon of minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 tablespoon dried dill. Stir well and store covered in refrigerator at least two hours before using. If you’re looking for another skinny and high protein appetizer recipe, my Skinny Queso Dip is one of my very favorite recipes on the blog.
Skinny Oven-Fried Zucchini with Garlic-Dill Dip
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 8 ounces nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp dried dill
- Make garlic-dill dip ahead of time, and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Slice zucchini into 1/4" coins and lay out on paper towels in a single layer. Pat dry to absorb any excess liquid.
- Beat egg with water in a small bowl, set aside. In a medium bowl, mix panko breadcrumbs, parmesan and seasonings.
- Dip each zucchini slice into the egg, then the breadcrumb mixture. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheets.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, or until zucchini is tender and the coating is crispy and golden brown. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, juice of a lemon, dill and salt. Stir until combined and chill in the refrigerator, covered, for at least two hours or until ready to use.