Blood Oranges are gorgeous this time of year. They are sweeter and less tart than their regular orange counterparts, with a beautiful raspberry colored flesh. Wondering what you can do with them? Pair them with a dark rum, of course! I made this Skinny Blood Orange Rum Buck using a spiced dark rum and diet ginger ale- and this skinny cocktail has only 115 calories!
What’s a Rum Buck? The terms “Buck” and a “mule” are often used interchangeably, but in my experience, mules tend to specifically refer to a drink made with ginger beer, while bucks can be made with ginger beer or ginger ale.
What you’ll need to make a Skinny Blood Orange Rum Buck:
- Dark or Spiced Rum- this will pair perfectly with the juicy sweetness of the blood orange
- Fresh Blood Orange Juice
- Fresh Lime Juice- this helps to bring a little extra acidity to the mix. Don’t forget the lime in this cocktail!
- A sprig of fresh mint
- Angostura Bitters – the earthy-spicy touch that gives this skinny blood orange rum buck an extra touch of “mmmm thats good”
- Diet or Sugar Free Ginger Ale
Making this Skinny Cocktail:
You’ll start by muddling the mint sprig with lime juice and angostura bitters in the bottom of a tall skinny glass. If you don’t have a muddler, you can always use the back of a wooden spoon to muddle the mint. Add the blood orange juice and rum, and stir well. Then, add lots of crushed ice, and top with your favorite sugar-free or diet ginger ale. Garnish with a pretty little blood orange wheel and sip away!
Skinny Blood Orange Rum Buck
- Muddler or wooden spoon
- 1 sprig mint
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 2 dashes angostura bitters
- 1 1/2 ounces dark rum
- 2 ounces fresh blood orange juice
- 4-6 ounces diet or sugar free ginger ale
- Muddle the mint with lime juice and angostura bitters in the bottom of a tall, skinny glass.
- Add blood orange juice and rum, and stir well.
- Add plenty of crushed ice to the glass, about 3/4 way full.
- Top with diet ginger ale, and garnish with a blood orange wheel. Cheers!